Oversight of the City of Bishop is provided by the City Council and three commissions. The commissions are the Planning, Water and Sewer, and Parks and Recreation Commissions. The commissions are all advisory to the City Council although the Planning Commission has additional roles and responsibilities as provided in state law.
The objectives of the City Council include:
- Represent their constituents in city affairs.
- Engage the community in collective problem solving on issues of shared concern.
- Affect behavior within city boundaries through regulatory policies and practices.
- Shape the development of the community through land use policies and decisions.
- Determine city service levels through:
- budget decisions
- personnel practices
- other policy choices including about the combination of services the city will offer